Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Trust...

Watching planes take off and land, butterflies in my stomach, hurry up and wait...and wait, and wait... Next thing I realize, I'm in a seat, seat belt fastened, palms sweaty, feeling the force and power as I feel pushed back into my seat. I'm watching things that I know to be solid, tilt and move further and further away from me...getting smaller and smaller. More wild than a roller coaster ride. And to be honest, I'm not a fan of roller coasters.

The power behind the take-off, defying gravity, traveling at speeds that I cannot comprehend...pretty amazing. Yet my palms sweat every time. :)

So many things like that in my life. The start of anything new, or unfamiliar. Being someplace new...not knowing directions, getting lost, driving in traffic I'm not used to...so many new things. I feel somewhat nervous and excited. And the more I think about it, the more fear sets in...

Kinda like the take-off...

The flight attendant announces that we are now 10,000 feet off the ground. That is crazy! And shortly after that, you can feel the plane gently climbing higher, leveling off, climbing higher, leveling off...until you look out the window and see noting but clouds underneath you. Now THAT is crazy!! And amazing!! Defying everything you know to be true according to the world.

Sound familiar?

Such a parallel in how God works... Nervousness of new things, new growth, new people, new opportunities.... And if I trust in myself to make it work, or make it happen, or make it amazing, I become fearful...AND I seem to fail, or become disappointed because it didn't turn out the way I thought it would or how I planned it would. Yes, there are times that I am successful...but it turns into something soooo exhausting that I want to quit or give up. And the fruit is not what I had hoped or planned it would be...and sometimes the fruit even turns sour. Why? Because I cannot do it! Not on my own. I am not equipped, capable, or have enough information to do many new things, or to conquer things that scare me by myself. I was not created to do things or go through things on my own, or to solely trust myself. I was created to depend and rely on HIM!! Someone shared a word of encouragement with me before I left, and again while I was waiting to board the plane. She said "some trust in chariots and some in horses; but we trust in the name of the LORD our God." (Psalm 20:7)- paraphrased

I'm so grateful I have a God I can trust. If my trust was solely on that plane, or the pilot, or anyone else, I can almost guarantee I would NOT have gotten on board! No way! The thought of trusting God comforts me...He's sooo big and soooo good! And only has my best interest in mind. At all times. I am totally trusting Him in my time away... Only doing what He wants me to do. I know it will be good...why? Because I trust Him. Just like I trusted Him to allow that plane to defy gravity and everything I know to be true, to get me from point A to point B without falling out of the sky. I trust Him!

Even with sweaty palms. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment